I'm associate professor of Computer Science at the University Lyon 2, with the qualification for supervising research (HDR), member of the Data Mining & Decision team of the ERIC Lab and teacher at the Institute of Communication (ICOM).
phone: (0) 478 772 414 - fax: (0) 478 772 375
office: ERIC Lab, bureau K198 - 5 av. Pierre Mendès-France - 69676 Bron Cedex, France
My current research focuses on machine learning with applications to the analysis of social media and opinion mining. I am particularly interested in weakly-supervised clustering techniques and topic modeling. For more details please see my research webpage.
I give basic classes in computer science (e.g., excel, database, programming) and more advanced classes in data mining (e.g., machine learning, artificial intelligence, text mining). All my lectures are complemented by practical projects using various languages (java, R, python).
See the list of ongoing classes on my teaching webpage.
- Comparative study of the information conveyed by the HuffingtonPost in different languages (English, French, Brazilian), in collaboration with sociologists of the Max Weber lab
- Metaphor detection in bibliographic corpora, in collaboration with geographers of the EVS lab
- Mapping of open-data actors in the Rhône-Alpes area, in collaboration with researchers in information studies of the ELICO lab
- Analysis of reports edited by the French courts, in collaboration with researchers of the CERCRID
- Early novelty detection on textual data streams, with EDF
- Text mining for studying the social media, with Stefan Trausan-Matu (University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania)
- Interactive document clustering, with Evangelos Milios and Ehsan Sherkat (Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada)
- Opinion-based storytelling based on product comments, with Claudiu Musat (SwissCom, Switzerland)
Current PhD students
- Robin Brochier: learning user profile in a dynamic context: application to research-paper recommender systems (co-supervised with Adrien Guille), with Peerus
- Charles Huyghues-Despointes: modeling of information trajectories over the social media (co-supervised with Sabine Loudcher), with Bertin
- Alberto Lumbreras: latent group dynamics - evolution of emergent roles in social networks (co-supervised with Bertrand Jouve), with Technicolor - PhD obtained in 2016, now post-doc fellow in the FACTORY project
- M. Abul Hasnat: temporal model-based clustering for web reputation analysis (co-supervised with J. Jacques and S. Bonnevay), 10 months post-doc position in 2015 for the Imagiweb project, now post-doc in Ecole Centrale, Lyon
- Mohamed Dermouche: modeling of opinion and topics on the social media (co-supervised with S. Loudcher), with AMI Software - PhD defended in 2015, now data scientist at shapr
- Young-Min Kim: extracting opinionated images from the social media (co-supervised with S. Bonnevay), 9 months post-doc position in 2014 for the Imagiweb project, now associate professor at Hanyang University, Seoul
- Thien Hai Nguyen: sentiment analysis on social media for stock market prediction, 3 months internship in 2014, now postdoc fellow at SUTD, Singapore
- Marian-Andrei Rizoiu: semi-supervised structuring of complex data (co-supervised with S. Lallich) - PhD obtained in 2013, now research fellow at the Australian National University
- Mathilde Forestier: automatic extraction of a conversational social network and role detection (co-supervised with D.A. Zighed) - PhD defended in 2012
- Claudiu Musat: contributions to the evaluation and improvement of topic extraction models, 3 months internship in 2010, now research director of the AI & machine learning group at Swisscom
- Anna Stavrianou: modeling and mining of web discussions (co-supervised with J.H. Chauchat) - PhD defended in 2010, now lead developer at Hardis Group
- Associate Editor of Computational Intelligence
- PC member for ECML-PKDD, SAC (SONAMA track), AI, ISMIS, DSAA, FLAIR (EAST track), EGC, MARAMI
- Regular reviews for COLING, AMIA, TKDE, TIST, ESWA, JIIS, SNAM, PLOS ONE
- Reviewer for the PhD thesis of Anthony Coutant (Nantes, 2015), Hussam Hamdan (Marseille, 2015), Lina Fahed (Nancy, 2016), Simon Bourigault (Paris, 2016), Amine Abdaoui (Montpellier, 2016)
- Examiner for the PdD defense of Jason Forest (Paris, 2009), Aurélien Lauf (Paris, 2014), Nicolas Dugué (Orléans, 2015), Rawya Zreik (Paris, 2016)
- Expert for the French Research Argency (ANR) and the Association Nationale de la Recherche et de la Technologie (ANRT)
- Expert for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (Vici grants) and for the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council, Canada (Discovery Grants)